We are familiar with physical education since we are taught about it since childhood. We are taught about different diseases and their symptoms along with suggestions to reach a medical professional when we feel discomfort. But, what about overthinking a lot over some issues, crying, suffocating for continuous days, getting panic attacks and experiencing insomnia . It’s a universal feeling that each one of us face. But, it is also true when we faced it we tolerated everything within us. Furthermore we were not prepared to face this sudden loads of stresses.
Depression, loneliness and anxiety are faced by each one of us then why we are not taught about their symptoms and treatment in our textbooks?
WHAT IS DEPRESSION?
It is a state of mind that makes life colourless. Depressed people isolate themselves from society. They lose motivation and zest for living life to the fullest. It makes life less enjoyable for them. Furthermore,it takes all the positive energy and good hope within them required to accomplish their goals. Additionally, the patient becomes impatient and gets frustrated very easily.
HOW CAN DEPRESSION MENTALLY AFFECT A PERSON?
• Insomnia: It means the inability to sleep or getting up during the night at frequent intervals. It is a very serious condition as it can lead to overthinking that will disturb the mind continuously and furthermore leads to anxiety issues. The patient may experience bad dreams along with excessive sweating and quivering while sleeping.
• Hallucinations: It is a condition that results in living away from reality. The patient may see, hear , touch or smell something that doesn’t exist in reality. Such a trait makes them more disconnected and isolated from the people around.
Types of hallucination
1. Visual hallucination: The patient feels the presence of someone else around him.
2. Olfactory hallucination: The patient may smell an odour or pleasant smell like the smell of a flower or tasty dish or perfume.
3. Auditory hallucination: The patient may hear someone interacting with him in anger or warmly.
4. Tactile hallucination: The patient may experience touch on his body that does not exist in reality.
• The onset of Alzheimer’s Disease: It is a mental condition that causes impairment of memory. Negative Changes in personality, decision – making and thought process are observed as symptoms.
• The Sympathetic Nervous System has increased activity: This nervous system is generally activated in the stress and emergency situations. It leads to the release of hormones ( adrenaline and nor-adrenaline) and additionally increase in heartbeat along with many other effects. In depressed people who may experience loneliness, this system is more active particularly.
IMPACT OF LONELINESS ON PHYSICAL HEALTH
• Increase in Blood Pressure: Depression and loneliness cause an increase in the level of cortisol which is a stress hormone. This leads to an increase in blood pressure.
• It increases the risk of heart problems: It has been found out that depression can cause an increase in double mortality risk in men and women. It should be noted that it causes Tachycardia ( irregular heartbeat at a faster pace).
CAUSES OF DEPRESSION
• Failure and mistakes-These are something that everybody faces once in their lives. These are one of the most common causes of depression for most people. The problem is that we get caught up and starts thinking that failure is an indicator of our potential and future instead of taking effective action to better our future. Even the most successful people failed and made mistakes. It should be noted that they learnt from their mistakes and refocussed and fine-tuned their approach until they got it right.
• Death of loved ones-Many people get into depression in such situation. It becomes difficult for them to accept the hard reality.
• Lack of bonding-A person may be surrounded by people , it doesn’t mean she may not feel depressed. If many people are there around me but still, I does not feel much closer to them to share my problems or if I feel my opinion doesn’t matter much for them, it undoubtedly can lead to depression.
• Lack of socializing skills- Some people who do not interact much with people, furthermore they lose contact with everyone around and may feel like they have no one to share their thoughts and feelings, they may end up being depressed and alone.
• Painful experience- Those who go through ragging, bullying, harassment etc. faces depression. Everybody deserves respect. Nobody has the right to disturb mental peace and self-respect of a person especially. Those who go through this phase, tend to isolate themselves from others because of few people.
Depressed or sad?
Sadness is a universal feeling that each one of us faces frequently. It often gets triggered due to some hurtful experience, short-term problems or bad performance in an occasion etc.
It fades over time or one gets adjusted to it alternatively. It can be forgotten even if it is left unsolved because it don’t affect our life much.
Depression is faced by few and it makes the life colourless. The patients lose connection with all the people alone. They remains anxious almost all the time. It makes life seem worthless . Furthermore, the patients loose all the motivation to move ahead in their life.
Symptoms of Depression
• The person lose all the confidence and apart from that, feels she is worthless.
• The patient may experience loneliness due to lack of communication skills.
• The patient may also face insomnia(inability to sleep).
• Thoughts of suicide is also possible in few cases.
• The person is unable to focus on work especially and lacks the zest to complete the given target.
How to handle Depression?
• Try to stay away from negative people
Dealing with such people further disturbs mind and thought process. Importantly, their presence can deteriorate the condition.
• Ignore the mean comments of people
There is no point in listening to those who can only hurt us instead of helping us to overcome our problems clearly.
• Go for a morning walk
Try to inculcate such good habits. Going for a walk in morning induces calmness and cherishes our soul. Furthermore, We get to learn a lot from nature.
• Listen to Relaxation and Meditation music
Listen to sounds of calm lake, Chirping of birds, Rainfall, Waterfall etc. and meditate along additionally.
• Keep a Journal
Instead of flooding our mind with negative thoughts ,it’s better to write down everything in a paper. It makes the heart feel lighter and relieved undoubtedly.
Yoga poses and moves are easy to do undoubtedly and in addition doesn’t require much effort at the same time.
• Play musical instruments or sing songs
Researchers have found that those who sing in a choir have higher levels of cytokines in blood and lower levels of stress hormone cortisol.
Playing instruments cheers up the soul .Apart from that, it reduces depression, lowers blood pressure and even reduces heart beat finally.
• Reading motivational books
Reading books on depression can create a positive impact on our mental health as well as provides the right direction for conquering depression.
• Take your stand
The world may speak again you or tries to disturb your mental peace. Don’t tolerate such situations. Speak for yourself. Speaking at the correct situation is far more better than being sad and crying for many days blaming yourself for such acts additionally.
• Consumption of proper diets and beverages
Proper and Balanced kind of diet has the potential to reduce stress. Importantly, Vitamin C diets help to reduce stress.
It should be noted that Beverages like banana smoothie, a cup of coffee, dark chocolate shake, Chamomile tea and Berry-infused Seltzer has potential to alleviate depression.
Case Study of Some Well known Personalities
There are many Great Personalities who went through depressive phase but came out of it strongly.
• The best example is Selena Gomez.
She struggled a lot since childhood. She went through financial problems as well as anxiety, depression.Additionally When she was 5 years old, her parents got divorced. She was left with frustation and it created nagative impact on her life at such young age.She saw her mom struggling throughout the day just to earn bread.
Her teen years
At 16 years, she decided to pursue her career in Entertainment industry. She got lots of opportunities and became popular very soon.Furthermore, she became an established singer as well and started wining our hearts. But, her stardom and good life didn’t last for too long. She got diagnosed with lupus, an auto-immune disease in which the body attacks self-cells particularly. Due to this disease, she started experiencing depression, anxiety, insomnia , panic attacks etc. as side-effects.
Her life after treatment
Once again, she decided to fight rather than giving up even after having such a painful past. She pet 7 dogs as she had lived among them in past and wanted to provide shelter to them.It should be noted that Pets are innocent creatures and provides a good company to the depressed. Additionally depressed mind also gets distract in taking care of them or running behind them all day. But, the phase was very difficult for her. Finally, she visited a Therapy centre that helped her to overcome these symptoms.
• Muniba Mazari is an another Great lady who fought with mental illness. She was having an ordinary life. Once, she was travelling with her husband . He fall sleep and they met with an accident. Somehow her husband escaped finally but she remain trapped inside the car. She suffered from multiple injuries and bone fractures additionally.
She was very much passionate about arts. But, the doctor told her she couldn’t draw anymore. She got depressed. As she had to be in hospital for many months for treatment, passing each day became difficult for her. She got determined that she would not leave her dream. With constant effort and pain, she started drawing illustrations to depict her mental condition particularly. Her paintings became widely popular .
Her life after treatment
After treatment, finally she reached her home after many months but on a wheelchair. Her marriage life was not good. She thought her another fear was divorce. Furthermore, she decided to become enough strong to get rid of her great fear. She divorced her husband. Soon after few days, she got the invitation of his second marriage. But, she didn’t allow herself to break down. She struggled a lot, get rid of all fear and dared to smile in her hardest situation.
How she became an inspiration?
It should be noted that when we accept all our situation, the world appreciates us. Now, she is a very popular motivational speaker. She is getting support and appreciation from all around the world additionally. She is also famous for painting. She didn’t let her dreams ruin because of her limitations. She worked hard to perform much more than her limitations. She never complained unlike the other sad and depressed people , she had only one mantra in life: Accept and Move on.
Coming out of Depression
There are many ways to come out of depression as giving up should never be an option. The best way is to interact with people around. Reach out to them, spread positivity, share your life with them and enjoy each day to the fullest. Another great way is reading books as they distract our mind into something productive and motivates a lot.
There are many Great Personalities who struggled a lot during the depression and never choose to give up. We should take inspiration from them. Muniba Mazari was an ordinary lady but she became a role model when she overcame all her hardest situation.
Depression is the mental condition that makes a person hopeless and takes away all the positive energy required to do work. (s)he loses all the motivation and zest to live and enjoy the life to the fullest.
Depression can affect a person both physically and mentally.Physical effects of depression are increasing in blood pressure, the onset of Type 2 diabetes and increase the risk of mortality due to heart problems. It’s important to be aware of the difference between sadness and depression. Otherwise, a person being sad may think he is in depression and this overthinking and overreaction may increase the problem.We should also remember that all these problems exist for a moment. Maybe after a few years, these problems will no more bother us or we get adjusted to a situation.
If you want to share your Article with us : Click Here